Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Barack Hits Scotland

Big news: UK rights for the Barack Obama book were snapped up by the achingly savvy Canongate. Not their usual tack, but quite the coup nonetheless.

The Scotsman adores Jamie Byng and, well, understandably so. The man is practically single-handedly responsible for revitalising Scottish publishing. Check out their take on the new buy.

To give the appropriate disclaimer, I should probably admit here that was once paid a startling compliment by said publisher. What was even better was that the praise was passed through the newspaper editor who took a chance on giving me decent reviewing slots. One of them was Canongate's stunning jacketed paperback publication of the complex, dense and gorgeous My Father's Notebook by Kader Abdollah. So, I'm biased, but they really are a great house... Have a look, although their site needs a little formatting help.

I'm excited about Obama and everything, but really, folks, it's Clinton. More on that later.

P.S.- just saw that Eoin Purcell beat me to it :) Must get that handy dandy Bookseller bulletin set up.

No comments: