Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bloddie would not be pleased.

So. You may have noticed that I like the natural world, and that I'm particularly fond of nasturtiums. The first thing I did in our nice new house was to plant nasturtium seeds in window boxes and set them out in the sun. We also planted squash, and were left no option but to grow them on the inside – in our bedroom. They're doing nicely, thanks.

.

But I digress. The Editor was over recently, and much to my surprise, stuck his head out the window approvingly and said, 'Hey. Nasturtiums!'



He may have  gained a point for that.

The other day, the Bearded One and I were coming home in the sunshine and spotted a great, fat pigeon flapping in the windowboxes. I'd seen a magpie at the same game that morning. 'They'd better not be eating my flowers,' thinks me. 'There'll be slaps.'

No, stupid. They were eating these:


They have now been summarily re-housed across from the grounds of a local mental asylum. Bill Oddie would not approve. Ignorance followed by brute relocation of small creatures for my own human gains. Bwahaha.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! looking at your pics have just realised that i am growing nasturtiums too!! and the pigeons just love the seeds. they sit on the edge of the basket, and dig out the seeds, careful not to destroy the plants that are growing, and i come home to soil all over the terrace. our local pigeons think they're dogs.

parkbench said...

Boo to THAT! But the good bit is that you'll feel smug when you eat a salad full of flowers, nay? xx

Unknown said...

they bloomed! but they're rather frightening looking, i almost wish they hadn't. If i was a flower, that really is not the flower I would be, or even want to be.